Robbie Glen After Dinner Speaker former Prison Governor is recognised as one of the finest after dinner speakers in the UK.
Robbie has a rare gift for making people laugh, and is a great favourite on the after- dinner circuit. With hilarious tales of his “time in prison”, a dry Scottish wit and brilliant timing Robbie is a man for any occasion.
Robbie Glen’s versatility has seen him speak at business lunches in the Eiffel Tower and in Vancouver at a St Andrew’s Day Ball in Singapore, at Burns Suppers in Cairo, Calgary and Edmonton and at conference dinners in a Bierkeller in Frankfurt and a wine cellar in Lisbon.
The great Scottish writer William McIlvaney based his story, “The Prisoner” in his book of short stories, “The Walking Wounded” on Robbie after he visited him in Dungavel prison.
He has been asked to address many ladies only functions as he is seen as a safe pair of hands.
Sired by an Ayrshire man out of a Renfrewshire lady, he was reared in Lanarkshire. Educated at Hamilton Academy and Strathclyde University.
Taught for one year in Blantyre before joining the Prison Service as an Assistant Governor in 1969.
Has served in Polmont Young Offenders, Longriggend Remand Institution and Edinburgh Prison. Has been Governor, Castle Huntly Young Offenders Institution; Governor, Dungavel Prison; Deputy and Acting Governor, Barlinnie Prison, Glasgow and Governor, Cornton Vale, (Scotland’s only female establishment).
Retired from the Scottish Prison Service on 4/9/96.
Married with 2 girls, the younger of whom is profoundly handicapped. Developed a walking aid for her with his staff and prisoners in 1981 and is now being used in 41 hospitals and schools in Scotland to teach handicapped children how to walk.
1. In his youth, played junior professional football but his career was cut short tragically at an early age due to lack of ability.
2. Still holds Lanarkshire Schoolboy 440 yards record, because it’s now metric.
- Is a member of Lamlash, Brodick and Hamilton Golf Clubs.
- Is a barker of the Variety Club of Great Britain.
- Is a member of the Start of Scotland for Cerebral Palsy.
- Is a member of Hamilton and Lochaber Burns Clubs.
- Is a member of The Lord’s Taverners